You should use a reliable antivirus for the cyber security of your computer or smartphone. This is software that protects the device from hacking, personal data from theft, and the hard drive from viruses.
By installing a reliable antivirus, you can safely watch movies online, download files or make purchases in online stores.
3 reasons to use antivirus to protect your data
All information stored on a computer or smartphone is the personal property of the owner. With the help of viruses and other malware, attackers can steal it and use it to their advantage.
Moreover, the fraudulent hook can be triggered not only when downloading files from suspicious resources. Sometimes a virus enters a computer after opening a dubious spam email.
The malicious program can be downloaded to a PC using an infected flash drive.
Let’s list the main problems that arise in the absence of an antivirus:
1. Theft of personal information:
- scans of documents,
- contact data,
- and other data can be transferred by fraudsters to third parties.
Plus, cybercriminals gain access to bank cards and electronic wallets, social media accounts.
They can not only damage your reputation but also demand significant financial rewards for the information they receive.
2. Damage your computer
Although a virus is only a program, it can physically harm your device. For example, change the voltage in the system. As a result, the hard disk in the computer or laptop is damaged.
In most cases, the data that was stored on it, cannot be restored, and repair is not always a rational and very expensive process.
3. Spam mailing through personal mail
Some virus programs embed into mail and send illegal materials, letters with malicious content to other users from the contact list. In this case, the risk of suffering from illegal activities increases.
Among the reasons why you should install a reliable antivirus, it is worth highlighting the slow operation of the computer. After unpacking, viruses take up space on your hard drive, which significantly decreases system performance. If applications take a long time to open and programs run slowly, it makes sense to check for viruses.
The main criteria for antivirus operation
Modern manufacturers offer a wide variety of programs. It is difficult for an unsophisticated person to make a choice, so first of all, pay attention to:
- the cost,
- compatibility with the OS of your device,
- the possibility of free testing,
- the amount of disk space occupied.
Here’s a list of features to look out for:
- Firewall. This is to protect your computer from hacker attacks. Its essence is to check the information that the user views, downloads, or opens. This is a kind of filter that does not allow potentially dangerous content to pass through;
- Web protection. These are some of the ways to block potentially dangerous sites. Its functions include phishing. This is the detection of fake twin sites that belong to hackers. By specifying personal data on such a page, the user contributes to the fact that personal information can fall into the intruders;
- Antispam. The service blocks emails with dubious or malicious content;
- Sandbox. The program creates a kind of isolated environment that serves to open programs. After closing the sandbox, all changes are canceled and do not affect the operation of the computer. Plus, this service prohibits potentially dangerous actions.
When choosing an antivirus, pay attention to the number of devices that can be serviced at the same time. Another important criterion is the usability of the interface. The simpler it is, the easier it is to find the functions you need and to protect your devices from viruses.
Picture Credit: Pexels